Obesity-Metabolic Syndrome-Diabetes Mellitus Wellness Testing Panel
Unwittingly, the practical lifestyle is leading us into lifestyle diseases or diseases, such as heart diseases and diabetes, triggered by an unhealthy lifestyle. How about your spouse? Have you cared for his/her lifestyle?
High fat and unhealthy lifestyle, alcohol consumption and physical inactivity also contribute to the development of the lifestyle diseases. Obesity is one thing you should beware of since it' s common among us yet we often ignore it because it shows no symptom of illness. Nevertheless, obesity is considered as the risk factor of metabolic disorders or metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome can increase the risk factor of diabetes (type-2 DM), coronary heart disease (CHD), hypertension, stroke, fatty liver disease and heart failure.
Characteristics of obesity
Aside from looking fat, obese people also have excessive abdominal circumference. Central obesity, the obesity taking place around the stomach, is an indicator of metabolic syndrome. You need to beware when your abdominal circumference is more than or equal to 90 cm (for men) and more than or equal to 80 cm (for women).
When the abdominal circumference reaches the cut point of central obesity, commonly no complaint nor symptom occurs however. a number of metabolic disorders may take place inside the body.
How to prevent
There are various ways to identify and even prevent the health disorders caused by obesity. In addition to seeing the doctor, another step we can take is the laboratory test of Obesity-Metabolic Syndrome-DM Wellness Testing Panel.
This panel is useful for identifying the early risk possessed by the patients with obesity, prediabetes or metabolic syndrome to have an immediate treatment and prevent more serious health problems. The Obesity-Metabolic Syndrome-Diabetes Wellness Testing Panel is recommended for those with:
- Body mass index (BMI) greater than or equal to 23 kg/m2. BMI is acquired from the body weight (kg) divided by the square of the body height (m).
- Fasting blood sugar above or equal to 100-125 mg/dL (prediabetes).
- Blood lipid disorder indicated by the amount of triglyceride above or equal to 150 mg/dL, HDL < 40 mg/dL (men) and < 50 mg/dL (women).
- Systolic blood pressure (upper endpoint) more than or equal to 130 mmHg or diastolic (lower endpoint) more than or equal to 85 mmHg.
Tests to take
The Obesity-Metabolic Syndrome-Diabetes Wellness Testing Panel includes the beneficial tests of the following aspects:
- HbA1c, a test helpful for figuring out the average blood sugar amount during the previous 3 months. In addition to monitoring the blood sugar control of the diabetic patients, this assessment is also beneficial for diabetes screening test.
- hsCRP, a CRP test by highly sensitive method, helpful for detecting the inflammation, which is a risk factor of coronary heart diseases (CHD).
- Adiponectin, the protein involved in the process of inflammation, insulin sensitivity, lipid (fat) metabolism and atherosclerosis (hardening of the blood vessel walls). The decrease of adiponectin amount is related to the risk of diabetes and heart diseases.
- NT-proBNP, a test useful for detecting the early stage heart failure.
- Total Antioxidant Status (TAS), a test to estimate the antioxidant status inside the body. Antioxidant is known to be capable of neutralizing free radicals, the harmful substances that might trigger atherosclerosis.
- Quantitative Urine Albumin, a test to figure out the protein escaping from the screening process by the kidneys. The condition of albuminuria (the presence of albumin in the urine) implies the risk of kidney damage and commonly occurs in the patients with diabetes or hypertension.
Bring your spouse to have the Obesity-Metabolic Syndrome-Diabetes Wellness Testing Panel tests in Prodia as the preventive measure to ensure that your partner is free from the diseases caused by obesity.